Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter Wreath

Good morning everyone!
I hope that all of you are safe and warm.
With all the talk about the weather conditions in most
of the U.S. I feel a little guilty.  Yesterday, the hubs and I
went out on the lake for a lovely boat ride before settling in and
watching play-off games.  
Temperature - a balmy 83 degrees!
Guess that's why we live in Florida.
(but to tell you the truth, I would love to have a little of that snow, just not the blizzard that so many are expecting - especially if I could just snuggle in with the fire in the fireplace - ahhhh, yes!)

On my first post I said I would share my winter wreath with you today.  
I wasn't sure I would be ready to do the post today, but I was able to finish it yesterday afternoon.

I saw a picture somewhere (I'm sorry, I can't remember if it was on Pinterest or a blog that I read), so I can't give credit for the original idea.  I did use the basic idea but added my own little twist to it to make it my own.



What do you think?

It was really pretty easy to do.

Here's what I did.

I started with a regular, run of the mill, grape vine wreath.
This one was fairly small, but it was one I had and I didn't have to
buy a new one.

Then, the hubs and I went looking for twigs.  We don't have any
oak trees in our yard.  However, there are lots of small oak trees just
down the road.

So,  I grabbed the clippers and a plastic bin, jumped in the 
golf cart and away we went.



I gathered a lot more twigs than I thought I would need, but
I really didn't want to have to go back and get more.
(Plus, they were calling for rain!)

Once you get your twigs you just start
jabbing them into your wreath.
You can trim them up to the size you want
or just break them off.


I'm sure that you could hot glue the twigs onto the wreath, but I didn't take the time.
I just stuffed the ends into the wreath.
(My wreath will be somewhat protected so I don't think I will have to worry about wind or rain).

I just kept sticking the twigs into the wreath until I had a
design that I liked.


Then I had to wait until the next day to paint it - as that promised rain was falling.

First thing the next morning I went into our side yard and spray painted
the wreath and twigs very lightly with white paint.

I do mean lightly! 

The look I wanted was a light dusting of 
snow - 
not a blizzard!



(Yep, I place a board across a garbage can as my painting bench - 
we're just low tech around here!)

Once it dried, all I had to do was hot glue my
little cardinal on his branch


and then tie the burlap bow.


This was, by far, the hardest part of this entire
project!

Number one, this is the very first time I have done anything with burlap -
yes, I know, I'm a little late to the party. 
I bought the burlap ribbon and little bird at Michael's Saturday and
I might have gotten the wrong type of burlap - as the weave on this ribbon is very open and it was extremely hard to get it around the twigs sticking out of the wreath without breaking all the twigs  - but once I got it woven around the twigs it seemed to go together okay.


I just tied a bow at the top and hooked it around
the small nail on the door.

I'm still not sure about the tails of the bow.


I haven't decided if I like them hanging this long - or if I want to cut
them off.

Maybe right above the top of the wreath?

What do you think?

Guess I'll live with it for a few days before I make up my mind.




I just love my little cardinal!


Thanks for stopping by and I hope
 you are staying warm!

Talk to you later!

Carol

8 comments:

  1. i love your winter white wreat
    with it's pop of scarlet cardinal

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison for the invitation - I hopped right over.
      Carol

      Delete
  2. its lovely. Thank you so much for helping to make the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop so much fun Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katherine for hosting such a fabulous party!
      Hugs!
      Carol

      Delete
  3. That is a great winter wreath, and very creative of you. And of course the topper is the pretty red cardinal. What a looker. Thanks so much for sharing your creative inspiration at Sundays' Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy - so glad you like it!
      Hugs -
      Carol

      Delete
  4. I really like your wreath! It is the perfect winter look.
    Thanks for limking up to Tickled Pink Times Two.
    Make it a pink day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like my little wreath. Thanks for hosting "Tickled Pink times Two".

      Delete